Module 1 Introduction to Equities reading and homework assignments
Complete these assignments in the following order (due dates are shown where
Reading assignments and tasks
The reading assignments should be completed by the middle of
- Immediately read Introduction to the World of Stocks Chapter 1.
- Only after reading chapter 1,
watch this video about the Facebook IPO.
- By the beginning of week 2
(September 11) read Types of Stock Orders
- Only after reading chapter 2,
watch this video about Using Level II.
- Optional: Chapter 2 describes the phenomenon known as the short
squeeze. One of the most famous short squeezes was a recent
squeeze in Volkswagen stock that went south, causing a suicide. Read that
- Go to any one of the
brokerage sites discussed in Chapter 1 and explore their features, fees,
what they offer, and how they work.
- Peruse both http://finance.yahoo.com and http://finance.google.com and become
familiar with their layout. Follow their instructions to open a guest
account to build a stock portfolio in at least one of these (if you are
already a yahoo or google general member this is
easy to do, otherwise join one of these sites). Do this immediately. Note:
Instructions for building your portfolios assume that you have a yahoo
- Complete Homework Assignment 1 – Build a Stock Portfolio Part
1 of 2 parts (complete by September 11)
Go back to the Course Calendar.