- 1995 - Professor of Music, Harvey Mudd College
- 2002 Composer/Researcher in Residence, University of Wollonggong, Australia
- 2000 - 2003 Associated Faculty, Claremont Graduate
- 1993 - 1994 Fulbright Senior Scholar,
Institut Seni Indonesia, Yogyakarta
- 1991 - 1995 Lecturer, Scripps College
- 1986 - 1993 Lecturer, University of Southern California
- 1989 - 1993 Research Fellow - Multimedia Specialist, Center for Scholarly Technology,
University of Southern California
- 1991 Luso-American Cultural Commission Visiting Scholar, Escola Superior de Musica -
Instituto Politecnico do Porto, Portugal
- 1987 and 1988 Co-coordinator and lecturer for USC Summer Seminar in Electro-Acoustic Music,
Computers, and MIDI.
- 1987 Research Assistant for "Ethnomusicologico-Digital Sound Archive and Annotated Computer
Catalog" research grant
- Other past employment: Asian music consultant, computer programmer, pianist, organist,
harpsichord tuner, arranger, copyist.
- Celestial Dance (dvd), Kinetica Video Library, 2012.
- Imbal-Imbalan (CD-audio), Spectral Harmonies SHCD-001, 2008.
- Static Cling included on Video Works from SEAMUS (dvd), SEAMUS, 2006.
- aleph included on Computer Music Journal Sound and Video Anthology (dvd) 2005.
- aleph included on Visual Music from Iota (dvd),
- Static Cling included on One Iota (videotape),
- Computer Video Works by Bill Alves (videotape), distributed by Iotacenter, 2000.
- Static Cling and Hiway 70
(videos), internet distribution by CinemaNow.com, 2000-2005.
- Chanson Triste (arrangement of Tchaikovsky) included on Momentos: Da Camerata de
Jaraguá do Sul (CD-audio), 1999.
- In-yo, included on ICMC '99 Beijing, China (CD-audio),
International Computer Music Conference
ISRC CN-A18-99-0077/A, 1999. (Selected by ICMC '99 Music Jury).
- Just on Time, included on
A Microtonal Music Experience (CD-audio), 1998.
- The Terrain of Possibilities (CD-audio). Electronic Music Foundation EMF CD-002, 1997.
- Time Auscultations included on Rational Music for an Irrational World (cassette). Just Intonation Network, 1990.
Music of the Peoples of the World. Schirmer/Cengage, 2005. Third edition 2012.
- "Consonance and Dissonance in Visual Music." Organised Sound 17/2 (Fall 2012): 114–119.
- "Correspondences and Complementarity in Visual Music," Proceedings of the 12th Biennial Symposium of Arts and Technology, 2010.
- Liner notes for Lou Harrison: Por Gitaro. New York: Mode Records 195, 2008. Also, separate website, "The Tuning of Por Gitaro: Suites for Tuned Guitars."
- "Digital Harmony of Sound and Light," Computer Music Journal 29/4 (Winter 2005): 49-58.
- Review of Lou Harrison Keyboard Works, American Music 23/4 (Winter 2005): 536-539.
- "The Electronic Works of Frederick Lesemann," SEAMUS Journal 17/1-2 (Spring 2005): 34-38.
- "Pocket gamelan: developing the instrumentarium for an extended harmonic universe," with Greg Schiemer
(principal author), Stephen James Taylor, and Mark Havryliv. Presented at International Computer Music
Conference, Singapore 2003.
- "The Journey of Light and Darkness in Toby Twining's Chrysalid Requiem," 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation Network 11/3 (Autumn 2003): 1-9.
- "Kembangan in the Music of Lou Harrison," Perspectives of New Music 9 #2 (Summer 2001) 29-56.
- Review of Uncommon Practices
by David Doty. 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network 10 No. 5 (Fall 2000) 16-17.
- Hiway 70, computer music composition score, in
The Csound Book
CD-ROM edited by Richard Boulanger. Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 2000.
- "Csound-based Microtonal Synthesis and Control with MIDI," Chapter in
The Csound Book CD-ROM edited by Richard Boulanger. Cambridge MA: MIT Press, 2000.
- "Postmodern Music," Seni [Indonesian Arts Journal] (December 1996), 25-37.
- "Pleng: Composing for a Justly Tuned Gender Barung," Presented at
the Fourth International Symposium and Festival of Intercultural Music, London, April 1996.
Published in Intercultural Music 4 (2001) 33-56, rpt. in 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network (Spring 1997) 1, 4-11.
- Arrangement of Sonata in E minor for Cello and String Orchestra by Antonio Vivaldi. National Cello Institute Publications, 1996.
- Review of Imbas Forasnai: Chanting the Light of Foresight by Terry
Riley, 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation Network
, 9, No. 2 (October 1995) 14-15.
- Audio demonstration of Balinese music, for Balancing Acts, a traveling museum exhibit
produced by the California Museum of Science and Industry.
- "Multicultural Elements in Music Composition," Seni [Indonesian Arts Journal]
- Review of Coda Finale 3.0 Music Notation Software, Music Library Association Notes
(March 1994), 1052-1054.
- Arrangement of Chanson Triste by Piotr Tchaikovsky for cello and string orchestra. National Cello Institute Publications, 1993.
- "Can We Live With Market-Driven Arts Alone?," Chorus! (July 1991) 16.
- "Key Characteristics and Pitch Sets in Composing with Just
Intonation," 1/1: Journal of the Just Intonation
Network, 6, No. 3 (Summer 1990), 1, 6-8, 14.
- Review of Computer Applications in Music: A Bibliography by Deta M. Davis, Society of
Electro-Acoustic Music in the United States Journal, 4, No. 1 (April 1989), 10-11.
- "The Just Tuning System of Nicola Vicentino," 1/1: Journal of
the Just Intonation Network, 5, No. 2 (Spring 1989),
- With Brett Campbell: "The Emancipation of the Consonance: Post-Modern Music," Duende
(November 1988), 19-21, 28-29.
Back to my web site at Harvey Mudd College,
professional web site.
Updated on January 1, 2013, by Bill Alves (alves @hmc.edu).